Thursday 2 August 2007

Primark

Prymark or Preemark? I did telephone their head office once and they answered Preemark. I think. I forget now. I should do that again.

Prymark seems to be to posher version as I found out when discussing it with someone who pronounced it Preemark when she described how she was "gaun doon the Preemark." I had to supress the urge to correct her grammar and say "Actually, you say 'Going down to Preemark."

Anyway recently I was standing in the returns queue in "Prymark", with my £2 pair of reduced jeans (should have tried them on first) I noticed with some amusement the number of older women in the queue who had the traditional haircut of someone who can't afford a fully blown hairdresser and seem to opt for the barbers instead. It is shorn very short up the back and then permed on top. Almost muffin shaped. I knew someone like this many years ago. Can't say any more, but suffice it to say I married into another family instead.

But the one I saw today was unbelieveable. The permed bit on top had a sort of red dye over it. Not completely red as you could still see the grey through it, almost as if someone had gone over it lightly with a paintbrush. It was as if it had been dyed all over and then shaved up the back as there was a perfect horizontal line with the dye stopped or maybe started.

Anyway like I said I was in the returns queue with my £2 jeans. I'm not too posh not to shop there, but I’ll still call it Prymark.

No comments: