Saturday 6 September 2008

The Uniform Is The Only Style

Recently I was travelling home from work on a Saturday lunchtime on the train about lunchtime.

When I got on the carriage was kind of half full. Opposite me at the other window was a couple sitting across the wee table from each other.

The man was in full Celtic regalia. Celtic shirt, dark green trackie trousers, white trainers. The girl had on white trousers with a silver belt, a thin white hoodie top with a silver design on the back. I could see the back as she was bent forward with her chest against the table edge and her arms hugged around her.

He started whistling some tune and after a very short time I noticed it repeating. It was either a very short song or that's the only bit he knew. I think the latter.

As well as whistling he was singing a line, again the same thing over and over.

"The uniform is the only style.....whistle whistle whistle...the uniform is the only style.....whistle whistle whistle.....". I've Googled this phrase and found nothing on it. I thought it must be some well known song but it seems not. It was a new composition.

He was slouched back in his seat while entertaining the troops with his right foot up on the seat opposite beside his girlfriend. Suddenly he sat up and said to her...

"Shut the fuck up, you fucking invited the cunt intae the hoose, you fucking invited Archie in, don't gie me any o' your shite, shut the fuck up".

He leant back again, and was silent.

I was scared to look across in case I caught his eye and he turned on me, as I had the feeling he may do that.

She was silent.

He then leant across the small table and put his arms around her.

She was crying. She was wiping her eyes. She leant back in her seat which exposed her stretched belly. She was pregnant. About 6 months by the looks of it.

Now that's how to properly court a girl in Glasgow. They probably were still courting. The baby's probably not his.

No comments: