Saturday 29 March 2008

Tesco Hikers

I was in Tesco in Milngavie one morning this week when I noticed the suburban country set were out in force. Everywhere I looked there was retired people in fleeces or large red waterproof jackets and some with sturdy 'walking shoes'.

I don’t know why they’ve opted for this look. It’s a bit like neds in their tracksuits, looking as if they should be training, these retirees seem to wish to look as though they are going off for a bit of cross country hiking.

However a quick walk out to the car park will prove this attempt fruitless as they've all got their Mercs and Beemers parked there ready to take them back up the road to their desirable detached villas.

It's another one of the looks adopted by people who I would say are well off. There is one I have noticed of some of the mature ladies that live in that area, and that is to turn up the collar of their blouses under their wool sweaters so it stands vertically (imagine Elvis's jumpsuits). It's a strange one but one that I find is quite common. In fact it's a giveaway sometimes when I get on the train going home from work, particularly on a Saturday when they've beem out shopping or lunching in some tasteful but expensive eatery, as the train can go down either one of two lines, and when I see an upturned collar under a piece of expensive wool, I know I'm on the right train.

No comments: