Sunday 30 December 2007

Pyjamas Off For A Screw

There's a fashion movement just now which involves wearing your pyjamas to go out.

I saw a young boy today being pulled along by his mother. He was about five years old. He had on a large raincoat and heavy duty outdoor shoes, and multicoloured striped loose cotton trousers. Obviously pyjamas.

I have noticed young teenage girls wearing loose cotton colourful trousers in the pyjama style when they are out and about in the city centre. I don't know if these are sold as outdoor trousers in the style of pyjamas or whether these girls are making a fashion statement by wearing what they find under their pillows.

A few months ago I saw an extreme case of this though.

I was at B&Q one evening in the summer, about 9pm and it was getting dark. A family got out of their car and came towards the shop door, as I was leaving. Mum, Dad and young son were fine. The teenage daughter was wearing a very fluffy and very pink dressing gown over her pink pyjamas and huge soft pink slippers.

What the fuck?

What the fuck are these people thinking?  Dad says he's just nipping to B&Q to get some screws for that shelf. Wife says she'll come and bring the kids. She asks the daughter if she's not getting changed out of her pyjamas.

"No, it's fine Maw, naebody will notice."

Yes everybody will notice a loon walking round a DIY store in her pyjamas and dressing gown.

I have seen both women and men in my local Spar shop wearing their slippers, but this was beyond anything. It's mental.

No comments: