Saturday 29 December 2007

Dear Old People, If You Are Done...Move On

I was at a checkout yesterday in Morrisons in Anniesland. There was an old woman in front of me. Old people sometimes take a long time so I prepared myself.

The young female assistant had helped her get her items into the plastic bags and then stood back a little before scanning my things so let the old woman put her purse away and move away. But she didn't.

As it became clear to me the old woman in front of me was basically hanging around to maintain some form of human contact in her empty life, I thought 'fuck this I'm not waiting on you', so I moved up past the till to start packing my items. She had finished putting her purse away and was just standing there. Not going to go anywhere. She didn't even move round to give me more room.

I moved up right beside her, inches between us, and reached right across in front of her to reach some bags. She was a bit smaller than me and my upper arm was only 3-4 inches from her face. I made a point of reaching back again, trying to get closer this time to try to give her a hint. No go.

I hadn't heard any of the conversation before I arrived, but it her next line was;

"Aye, I huv tae take my cod liver oil every day," to the check out assistant, obviously thinking their conversation was still going on, even though the young girl was now scanning someone else's items and that person was fucking right there!

After this comment I did start laughing out loud a little and a few seconds later she wandered off. I felt sorry the for young girl who clearly felt she couldn't tell her to move on.

Next time this happens, and I'm sure it will as it has before, I will not be so polite as to simply laugh at them, I will simply ask them if they have finished their business, and if so, to please bugger off.

No comments: